2 in Critical Condition from “Devil Tortures”

first_imgA “country devil” and its attendants have reportedly beat and tortured two persons in Saclepea, Nimba County, leaving both victims in critical condition.The victims are being treated at a clinic in Saclepea City for wounds they reportedly sustained at the hands of the “country devil”.  It is reported that the victims were beaten so badly that they have not attended to nature since Monday.The reports say police have arrested and detained about 12 persons in connection with the incident. The detainees are said to be the devil’s men who reportedly beat and tortured the victims.The incident which, according to our correspondent, has already claimed the attention of county authorities was reported in Gbao Boanplay Town.The victims are identified as Peterson Whapoe and his half brother Madison Dahn. In their respective accounts of what took place, they alleged that on Tuesday May 12, they were severely tortured by the “country devil” and its followers after someone complained to the “country devil” that he (Peterson) was indebted to one Walkie in the amount of LD75,000 for Walkie’s traditional medical bill.Victim Peterson explained that Walkie had earlier complained about him to Peter Barlon, head of the Traditional Council in Nimba about the LD75,000 debt.“When the matter reached Mr. Barlon, he instructed John Teage, one of his messengers, to go to Gbao Boanplay and settle the matter.”According to Peterson, when Teage and his group arrived in Gbao Boanplay, they immediately proceeded with the investigation.  Peterson was found guilty and mandated to pay a fine of ten goats and some undisclosed amount of Liberian dollars immediately and without the least delay.“Peterson gave three goats with LD500 as part payment of our fine, and we also asked him to give some part payment of the amount in question, but he failed to do so,” Teage said.Immediately Peterson was given the guilty verdict, Teage was allegedly quoted as ordering the “country devil” and his followers to tie Peterson’s legs and hands and put him into a bag. Then they began beating on him while they squeezed the sticks that were tied to his legs.“They tied my mouth, my eyes and began beating on me severely at the same time stepping over me while I was in the bag,” he said.As for Madison, he narrated how he was made to stand for Peterson after the guilty verdict, “but because I told the people to seize their house and rubber farms for the fine imposed on them, John Teage got angry and ordered me tied.“I was tied at my wrist, legs and hands and dragged into a house where I was tortured until I agreed to the payment of the money in question and anything short of that could not hold water.”Thereafter, he said they beat on him to the extent that he could not up to yesterday move his legs or even sit up.All of these activities happened in the “Zoe Bush” where those who are not members of the “Country Devil” were not allowed to enter, according to the report.When contacted John Teage denied putting the victims in bags, but confirmed that Peterson was tied and beaten because he failed to comply with the rules of the “Zoe Bush.”He had earlier complained to Mr. Barlor that his victim, Peterson, poisoned him (Teage) to the extent that he spent over US$800, and that Peterson had refused to pay back the expenses he incurred while he was ill.Meanwhile, police in Saclepea have arrested and detained Teage and 11 accomplices undergoing preliminary investigation for their alleged roles in the “Country Devil” incident.When contacted Mr. Barlon admitted sending John Teage to settle the matter with Walkie and Peterson and report to him the findings, but said he regretted the action that led to the beating of the men allegedly by the “devils.” It can be recalled that a man recently died from a similar torture in Doe Zuaplay Town, Tappita District, Lower Nimba County, upon the instructions of a “country devil.” That case is yet to be investigated.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Flyers win 6-5 over Stony plain Eagles

first_imgAlso download below the official game sheet. The Fort St. John senior Flyers are already happy with their road trip to Stony Plain, after a 6-5 shootout win over the Stony Plain Eagles on Saturday night.The first presumed AAA game of the season started very quickly and physically, and though the Eagles had a good start, the Flyers would fight back, evening the flow of play, and Ryan Carter added a late goal, to send the teams into the rooms tied at 1-1.In the 2nd period, the Flyers found their ‘AAA’ game, scoring three more goals, and conceeding only one, and so at the end of the second, the score was 4-2. – Advertisement -In the 3rd, the Eagles went all out, tying it all up at 5-5 with 1.7 seconds left in the period. The game would go to four on four overtime, and no goals were scored, sending the game to a shootout.  Again, 5 shots each would be insufficient, prompting a Matt Shuya goal in the sixth round, and the Flyers would win it 6-5. The game was an outstanding game – very fast paced and phyisical.  Listen to this highlights package [asset|aid=594|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=240743ec556634b041ea0a324ac792aa-Flyers win 6-5 over the Stony plain Eagles_1_Pub.mp3]Advertisementlast_img read more

Dorrell hires former Bruin

first_imgDye commits: The Bruins received their first non-binding commitment of the 2008 class from Anthony Dye of Corona Santiago High. One of the most intriguing things about Dye is the choice he made a year ago. He was a left wing with the Los Angeles Hockey Club, and was given the chance to prep at Minnesota hockey power Shattuck-St. Mary’s. “That was obviously a big decision, and I’m happy with the one I made,” Dye said. “I love the sport of football.” Dye, a 5-foot-11, 180-pounder, had 89 tackles last season, including 18 against Corona Centennial High. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Two years ago, Eric Scott was coordinating Crenshaw High’s offense. Now he will be teaching UCLA’s receivers and trying to make a name for himself as a top-notch recruiter. In an expected move Tuesday, Bruins coach Karl Dorrell hired Scott – who played at UCLA – to coach receivers. center_img “Eric is an up-and-coming talent in this profession,” Dorrell said. “He has a great sense of evaluating talent and developing skill players to reach their potential.” The 32-year-old Scott graduated from UCLA in 1997. last_img read more

Duncan Cran tops School District 60 speech contest

first_imgThere were 13 participants in the competitive portion of the morning, and in the end the judges couldn’t pick just one to win the trophy. Noah Peachy and Elysia Cruz tied for first place, taking the trophy back to their school Duncan Cran Elementary. Noah lead the crowd through the many definitions of the word “awesome”, while Elysia spoke about middle school. There was another tie for second place, with Kobe Tulloch from Bert Ambrose and Conner Kindrat from CM Finch sharing the accolades. Kobe took his audience through the five questions he has about life, while Connor enthusiastically shared his love for doughnut day. Rounding out third was Jade Gibbons from Baldonnel School, for his speech on manners. Duncan Cran won the overall school competition, with Bert Ambrose coming in second and Baldonnel in third. After the competition, the judges commented that it was difficult to choose the winners as the scores were very close.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Liverpool, Real fans in for Kiev hotel price shock

first_img0Shares0000Kiev will become a much more expensive place for visitors as hotels ramp up prices for Champions League final fans © AFP/File / Sergei SUPINSKYKIEV, Ukraine, May 12 – Fancy shelling out Sh421, ($4,200) for a night in a budget hotel?Liverpool and Real Madrid fans who do not may end up sleeping rough for the night when they come to Kiev for the Champions League final. The Ukrainian capital is the focus of fan fury after its hotels began charging 100 times their standard rates for the big match on May 26.And some supporters lucky enough to book their beds before they turned into luxury items were aghast to discover their reservations annulled.The Liverpool FC supporters club even posted a “rough” guide on Facebook that included overnight stays in the Polish city of Wroclaw.The trek back out of Kiev was set for 3:00 am.The European football governing body UEFA issued a diplomatic statement to AFP agreeing it might be wisest to just pop in and out of town on match day.“It is expected that the preferred option for the majority of travelling fans will be charter flights arriving and leaving on the same day,” UEFA said.The rates some of the city’s more modest places are charging sometimes look like a misprint.A hotel called Harmony on Andriyivskiy Descent offers a room with a double bed and a miniature TV set balanced on a windowsill for 3,534 euros.Another two euros gets you a breakfast.A person at reception asked AFP to write a formal letter to management when asked why the price had been revised up for that one day from the usual 29 euros.Fans who thought they were being clever by booking long in advance also had trouble getting answers after discovering they had no places to stay.“Booked my hotel for Kiev months ago,” a Liverpudlian named Stephen wrote on Twitter.“Now @bookingcom decided that they are gonna cancel it for me free of charge so I can re-book it for 15 grand!”A spokesperson for Booking.com said all of the site’s prices were set by the hotels and that it was ready to defend the interests of clients who had their reservations tossed out.– Virus attack –The Spanish sport daily Marca published accounts of similar horror stories befalling Real fans.One received a message from his hotel asking him to cancel his reservation “because we will not have electricity and water for the dates indicated”.Another place said “a virus attack” was responsible for a cheap room being offered when in fact there were none.Kiev city authorities have responded by assigning the problem to the state anti-monopoly committee.The committee said on Tuesday that it had started “to monitor prices on the hotel services market”.It has not been heard from since.All of which prompted kind Ukrainian souls to start a Facebook page offering free couches to desperate lovers of the beautiful game.It had nearly five thousands members by Saturday and a big writeup in the Liverpool Echo newspaper.Page creator Victor Kylymar told the paper that he was not really into football but felt an “obligation” to help people out.“This is a common event for all of Europe and to use this to make money is not the best idea,” Kylymar said.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

OPENING OF ‘MEDICAL 5’ TO RELIEVE PRESSURE AT LGH NEXT WEEK

first_imgThe opening of the Medical 5 unit at Letterkenny General Hospital is now expected to take place on Tuesday next.Letterkenny General HospitalThe 18 bed unit was due to open almost a month ago but management have blamed a lack of staff for the delayed opening.However Donegal Daily understands the unit will now open on Tuesday bringing much-needed relief to the struggling hospital. Staff at the hospital have been trying to cope under severe pressure in recent days with a number of patients being treated in corridors and on wards.The hospital was yesterday named the busiest hospital in the country by the Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation.One staff member with two decades experience at the hospital said she had never seen the hospital so busy.  OPENING OF ‘MEDICAL 5’ TO RELIEVE PRESSURE AT LGH NEXT WEEK was last modified: July 31st, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalLetterkenny General HospitalMedical 5last_img read more

Proline hope to build on away point against Masavu FC

first_imgMasavu head coach Alex Gita expects his team to put up a good show against Proline.FOOTBALL–After scrumbling to a 0-0 draw with only 11 players and no substitutes against Onduparaka in their opening game, Proline whose entire squad has now been cleared by FUFA, return to action against Masavu FC at the StarTimes stadium in Lugogo.The Mujibu Kasule coached side have only one injury concern as midfielder Nuldin Bunjo has been ruled out.“Most of our players are in good condition to play and those that did not feature against Onduparaka have been cleared as well,” Kasule said.“We expect to build on the point we earned at Onduparaka and turn it into three on Saturday that is if Masavu can sort their licence issues and turn up,” he added.Masavu didnot play their first game against Police FC on Tuesday due to lack of licences resulting into the Uganda Premier League awarding three goals and points to the Law Enforcers.“It is good all the licence issues where sorted and now Masavu is ready to kick start its campaign,” said Masavu head coach Alex Gita.“It is not going to be an easy game because of the artificial turf at Lugogo but we will try all we can not to loose a second match in a row,” he added.The Entebbe based side will be without Ddumba Sadala who sustained an injury in training but the rest of the squad is available.Key statisticsProline started the new season with a goal-less draw at Onduparaka while Masavu lost 3-0 to Police.This is the first meeting of both clubs in the top flight.Their only previous two meeting happened in the second tier(Big League) with either side winning 1-0 at their respective homes.Proline have not won any of their last two opening home games in the top flight (D1 L1) with the draw coming at the hands of Express last season.Azam Uganda Premier LeagueProline FC vs Masavu FC16-09-2017StarTimes Stadium, Lugogo4:00pmCommentslast_img read more

Fire crews attend Carndonagh barn blaze

first_imgThere were dramatic scenes in Carndonagh this afternoon after a fire broke out in a barn.Large plumes of smoke were seen from across the town as the fire tore through the shed, which is located behind buildings near at Pound Street. Local reports say that the fire broke out at approximately 1pm.Fire services from Carndonagh attended the scene and quickly brought the blaze under control. No injuries were reported from the fire. However, the barn was extensively damaged.See footage from the incident by VIDEOTEK MEDIA PRODUCTIONS here: Fire crews attend Carndonagh barn blaze was last modified: October 2nd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Buncrana Chamber of Commerce to host information evening

first_imgExisting and new members of the Buncrana Chamber of Commerce have been invited to an opening information evening tomorrow, Monday, July 1. The Chamber of Commerce is keen to cooperate with the public and listen to what they would like to see happening over the next several years.The event will take place at the Lake of Shadows Hotel at 7pm. A spokesperson for Buncrana Chamber of Commerce said: “Buncrana Chamber of Commerce wants to take every opportunity to positively represent their membership and to ensure that they are getting the best from their local chamber.“We’d like to invite existing members and potential new members to an open information evening at the Lake of Shadows Hotel on Monday, July 1 at 7pm.”Buncrana Chamber of Commerce to host information evening was last modified: June 30th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Photo library: South Africa at work 13

first_img{loadposition tc}Click on a thumbnail for a low-resolution image, or right-click on the link below it to download a high-resolution copy of the image.» Download South Africa at Work contact sheet (1.5MB) » Download full image library contact sheet (10.5MB) Workers in a Sasol plant. Sasol is South Africa’s petrochemicals giant, having pioneered the technology to produce oil, petrol and other chemicals from coal.Photo: Sasol » Download high-res image Workers in a Sasol plant. Sasol is South Africa’s petrochemicals giant, having pioneered the technology to produce oil, petrol and other chemicals from coal.Photo: Sasol » Download high-res image Northern Cape province:Willem Nkosi, a worker on a pecan-nut farm in theVaalharts Irrigation Scheme region. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Northern Cape province:Willem Nkosi, a worker on a pecan-nut farm in theVaalharts Irrigation Scheme region. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Northern Cape province:Dairy farm in the Vaalharts Irrigation Scheme region. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Northern Cape province:Frans Mmolana (left) and Virginia Geco sort peanuts (groundnuts) on a farm in theVaalharts Irrigation Scheme region. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Northern Cape province:Orange pickers check for ripe fruit on a farm in theVaalharts Irrigation Scheme region. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Northern Cape province: Orange pickers check for ripe fruit on a farm in the Vaalharts Irrigation Scheme region. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Northern Cape province:Fiecher Makae tests the oranges before picking takes place on a farm in theVaalharts Irrigation Scheme region. Photo: Graeme Williams, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res imageSOUTH AFRICA AT WORK 13: {loadposition saatwork}Having trouble downloading high-resolution images? Queries about the image library? Email Janine Erasmus at janinee@mediaclubsouthafrica.com.last_img read more