It’s On, Live: 2016 Elite Eight Finals on Fox Sports and Online!

first_imgTouch Football Australia (TFA) is pleased to announce that it has secured the services of Power Productions to professionally film and produce for broadcast/live stream, the 2016 Elite Eight series and selected National Touch League Grand Finals (from 12.40pm Saturday, 12 March 2016). The Elite Eight Men’s and Women’s grand finals as well as the NTL Mixed Open and selected NTL grand finals will be live streamed direct from C.ex International Stadium by Power Productions; the package includes expert commentary and live scoring for all games (stay tuned to the TFA website for links) – bringing you all the drama and latest with team changes and form guide going into the finals.The Elite Eight Grand Finals will feature in a special 90-minute show set to broadcast on Fox Sports 1 just three weeks following the event.The initial scheduling of the TV program will be Tuesday, 5 April at 4.00pm and Saturday, 9 April at 9.00am (AEST). Be sure to lock it in to your TV viewing schedule and share this among your colleagues and friends!Power Productions has a wealth of experience and achievements in the industry televising sport and events, including prominent Touch Football events like the State of Origin and the opening day of the Touch World Cup in recent years. Stay tuned to www.touchfootball.com.au for the links to the live streaming of games on the TFA YouTube channel (‘TFATV’), throughout the 2016 National Touch League (from Wednesday, 9 March).You can keep up-to-date with all of the latest news and information from the 2016 National Touch League as follows – visit, view, share, like and join our conversation in coming days as we get for the ‘Best of the Best’ live from Coffs Harbour:Websiteswww.ntl.mytouchfooty.comwww.touchfootball.com.auSocial MediaFacebook – www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustraliaTwitter – www.twitter.com/touchfootyaus (be sure to use the hashtag #NTL2016)Instagram – www.instagram.com/touchfootballaustraliaYouTube – www.youtube.com/touchfootballaus Related Links2016 NTL Live!last_img read more

RCMP present rural crime stats to PRRD Board

first_imgDAWSON CREEK, B.C. — Members from the RCMP detachments in Fort St. John, Dawson Creek, Chetwynd, and Tumbler Ridge gave presentations to the Peace River Regional District Board outlining regional crime statistics from last year.Speaking first, Fort St. John detachment commander Insp. Mike Kurvers said that officers had seen an overall decrease in service calls in the rural area, from 3,246 in 2016 to 3,200 last year. He said that overall, most types of crime had decreased, while others increased slightly.Insp. Kurvers said that rural arsons dropped significantly last year compared to the year prior, from 21 to six. Property crime and violent crime saw substantial decreases year-over-year with the exception of sex offences. Those increased from seven to 22 in the past year. The number of vehicle thefts, drug-related offences, and impaired drivers also increased from 2016 to 2017. Dawson Creek’s acting detachment commander Sgt. Mike Richard said that rural calls in the South Peace have increased 33 percent compared to 2016, with police being called out 1,917 times last year.  Sgt. Richard said that vehicle thefts were a big problem in 2017, with an average of 15 to 17 vehicles being stolen every month. He did attribute at least part of that to a large chop-shop operation in Doe River, north of Rolla, which was shut down by police last year.Sgt. Scott Hromadnik said that the Chetwynd RCMP had a busy 2017, which he attributed to an uptick in oil and gas industry activity near his community. Sgt. Hromadnik also said that his detachment has been focusing recently on traffic enforcement, as roads in the Chetwynd area claimed seven lives last fiscal year.last_img read more

MI eye revenge against KXIP

first_imgMumbai: Revenge will be on their mind when Mumbai Indians lock horns with Kings XI Punjab, the hosts looking to stretch their winning run in the Indian Premier League here on Wednesday. The previous encounter between the two teams in Mohali had ended in a comprehensive eight-wicket win for Kings XI, but home conditions at the Wankhede Stadium are expected to favour MI. MI enter the match high on confidence following successive victories over holders Chennai Super Kings and last edition’s finalists Sunrisers Hyderabad. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhSignificantly both these victories came mostly because of MI’s all-round bowling strength as the bowlers defended totals successfully. MI are also blessed with splendid batting firepower in the end overs from West Indian Kieron Pollard and Hardik Pandya. Kings XI, who too have been given a shot-in-the-arm by their six-wicket victory Monday night over Sunrisers, need to chip away at the top of the MI batting as well as ensure that the big-striking Pollard and Hardik don’t take away the game like they did when carving 45 runs in the last two overs against CSK to turn the game around. Also Read – Vijender’s next fight on Nov 22, opponent to be announced laterMI don’t even have anyone in the top-20 run scorers’ list this season, an indication of the depth in their batting, and have a superior fast bowling attack bolstered by the inclusion of West Indian pacer, Alzarri Joseph, who blew away Sunrisers with his record-breaking haul of 6/12 in Hyderabad in their previous game. The hosts have a formidable pace attack with Jasprit Bumrah and left-arm Jason Behrendorff also there, along with Joseph and Hardik, to utilise the bounce and carry on the Wankhede track. Kings XI, third on the table with eight points, have been top heavy in batting with K L Rahul and Mayank Agarwal leading the way with 200-plus aggregates and the indomitable Gayle too not far behind. In bowling, skipper Ravichandran Ashwin (7 wickets) has done well in five out of six games that the team has played and has got good support from the likes of Sam Curran, Mohammed Shami and Murugan Ashwin.last_img read more

Former Ohio State football players one step closer to NFL after draft

Senior running back Carlos Hyde (34) walks of the field during a game against Illinois Nov. 16 at Memorial Stadium. OSU won, 60-35.Credit: Ritika Shah / Asst. photo editorLives have changed  forever for 256 players as they were selected in the 2014 NFL Draft.Six of those players are former Ohio State Buckeyes.The first former Buckeye taken off the board was linebacker Ryan Shazier, who was selected 15th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round Thursday night. He became the ninth former OSU linebacker and 68th Buckeye ever taken in the first round.Shazier, who was a first-team Associated Press All-American in his final season at OSU, totaled a Big Ten conference-high with 143 tackles to go along with six sacks.Cornerback Bradley Roby, who joined Shazier as one of 30 prospects invited to New York for the draft, was selected by the Denver Broncos with the 31st overall pick in the first round.Roby became the first OSU defensive back taken in the first round of the draft since Malcolm Jenkins was selected by the New Orleans Saints with the 14th overall pick in 2009.The Broncos, who dropped Super Bowl XLVIII 43-8 to the Seattle Seahawks on Feb. 2, have since bolstered their secondary by not only drafting Roby, but also signing former New England Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib to a six-year, $57 million contract in March.Just as they did in the first round, the Buckeyes produced two picks in the second round, as running back Carlos Hyde and offensive lineman Jack Mewhort came off the board.Hyde was selected 57th overall by the San Francisco 49ers, who are coached by former University of Michigan quarterback Jim Harbaugh.The former Buckeye running back became the first 1,000-yard rusher under OSU coach Urban Meyer and was named the Big Ten Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year in 2013. Hyde finished his senior campaign with 1,521 yards and 15 touchdowns on the ground.Mewhort was selected just two picks later with the 59th overall pick by the Indianapolis Colts.The selection of Mewhort marked the third straight year that an OSU tackle has been selected in the draft, following in the footsteps of Reid Fragel – drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in 2013 – and Mike Adams, who the Pittsburgh Steelers selected in 2012.Mewhort was a three-year starter in his time as a Buckeye and was named a first-team All-American by ESPN.com during his senior season in 2013.Another Buckeye was not taken until the fifth round when center Corey Linsley was selected 161st overall by the Green Bay Packers.Linsley anchored an offensive line that ranked fifth nationally in 2013 in rushing, averaging 308.6 yards per game and breaking school records for points in a single season with 637, as well as touchdowns scored with 87.Linsley graduated from OSU with a degree in economics in December.Rounding out the former Buckeyes selected in the 2014 draft was safety Christian Bryant, who was selected 241st overall in the seventh round by the St. Louis Rams.Bryant, who was named a team captain prior to the 2013 season, suffered a season-ending ankle injury during the fifth game of the year against Wisconsin Sept. 28., a game won by OSU 31-24. At the time of the injury, Bryant ranked third on the team in tackles with 22.Bryant, who was a three-year starter for the Buckeyes, finished his OSU career with 171 total tackles to go along with two interceptions, 23 pass breakups and three forced fumbles.The Buckeye safety petitioned the NCAA for a medical redshirt in January, but was turned down and entered the draft.Although six Buckeyes were drafted to NFL rosters, several draft-eligible players were not selected during the draft.According to multiple reports, many of the former Buckeyes not drafted have found homes in free agency.Some of the players signing in free agency took to Twitter to announce their new teams, one of them being wide receiver Corey “Philly” Brown who announced his signing with the Carolina Panthers saying, “Here I come Carolina,” via his personal account @phillybrown10. Reportedly joining him in Carolina will be offensive lineman Andrew Norwell.Offensive lineman Marcus Hall confirmed with  The Lantern Sunday in an email that he has signed with the Indianapolis Colts, which reunites him with Mewhort.  Safety C.J. Barnett’s signing with the New York Giants was confirmed via Twitter by his signing agency IFA.Kicker Drew Basil also took to Twitter late Saturday night announcing he has signed with the Atlanta Falcons. Wide receiver Chris Fields also used social media to announce an agreement with the Washington Redskins.Running back Jordan Hall has earned a tryout with the Steelers according to multiple reports and quarterback Kenny Guiton remains unsigned as of Sunday morning. read more

Mbappe on winning the Ballon dOr I couldnt care less

first_imgUnlike Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, the young rising star in Kylian Mbappe “couldn’t care less” about the Ballon d’Or award following a brilliant World Cup campaignThe 19-year-old is being tipped as a dark horse to put an end to Ronaldo and Messi’s dominance of the highly-coveted award this year and may well in with a shot, depending on the final outcome of France’s World Cup campaign.Mbappe’s meteoric rise in the football world has been undeniable following his standout performances at Russia, which even left a five-time Ballon d’Or winner in Messi in the shadows after the Paris Saint-Germain inspired France to a 4-3 over Argentina in the last-16.While many had expected his illustrious PSG teammate Neymar to be the one to end Ronaldo and Messi’s decade-long dominance of the Ballon d’Or, it appears that it could be Mbappe instead.But it winning the historic award, that has been awarded to greats like Michel Platini and Marco van Basten since it was introduced in 1958, is something that doesn’t seem so appealing to the young man.Franck Ribery, FiorentinaFiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.“I couldn’t care less about that,” he told TF1, via Express.“I want the World Cup. I want to sleep with it.“I wasn’t born in 1998, so I have never seen people on the Champs-Elysees celebrating.Mbappe has been linked with a move to Real Madrid to replace Ronaldo after his exit to Juventus on Tuesday.last_img read more

Rohingya villages burned also after military operations HRW

first_imgComplete destruction of Rohingya villages in close proximity to intact Rakhine village, Maungdaw township, recorded on 21 September 2017. Photo: Human Rights WatchHuman Rights Watch (HRW) on Tuesday reported destruction of tens of thousands of structures in Myanmar, which are primarily homes inhabited by ethnic Rohingya Muslims.Referring to some newly released satellite images, the rights group said at least 288 villages were partially or totally destroyed by fire in northern Rakhine state since 25 August 2017.HRW analysis says the burnings took place after the Myanmar officials claimed security force “clearance operations” had ceased.The images show at least 66 villages were burned after 5 September, when security force operations supposedly ended, according to a 18 September speech by state counselor Aung San Suu Kyi.The Myanmar military responded to reported attacks on 25 August by the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) with a campaign of ethnic cleansing, prompting more than 530,000 Rohingya to flee across the border to Bangladesh, according to the United Nations refugee agency.“These latest satellite images show why over half a million Rohingya fled to Bangladesh in just four weeks,” said Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director. “The Burmese military destroyed hundreds of Rohingya villages while committing killings, rapes, and other crimes against humanity that forced Rohingya to flee for their lives.”A total of 866 villages in Maungdaw, Rathedaung, and Buthidaung townships in Rakhine state were monitored and analysed by Human Rights Watch.The most damage occurred in Maungdaw township, accounting for approximately 90 per cent of the areas where destruction happened between 25 August and 25 September.Approximately 62 per cent of all villages in the township were either partially or completely destroyed, and southern areas of the township were particularly hard hit, with approximately 90 percent of the villages devastated.In many places, satellite imagery showed multiple areas on fire, burning simultaneously over wide areas for extended periods.Images showed that most of the damaged villages were 90 to 100 per cent destroyed.Many villages which had both Rohingya and Rakhine residing in segregated communities, such as Inn Din and Ywet Hnyo Taung, suffered heavy arson damage from arson attacks, with known Rohingya areas burned to the ground while known Rakhine areas were left intact.The Myanmar government has repeatedly said that ARSA insurgents and local Rohingya communities were responsible for setting the fires that wiped out their villages, but has offered no evidence to support such claims.Human Rights Watch interviews in Bangladesh with more than 100 refugees who had fled the three townships gave no indication that any Rohingya villagers or militants were responsible for burning down their own villages.HRW insisted that UN member countries and international bodies should press the Myanmar government to grant access to the UN-mandated fact-finding mission to investigate these abuses.The UN Security Council should also urgently impose a global arms embargo on Myanmar , and place travel bans and asset freezes on those Myanmar commanders responsible for grave abuses, the rights group said.”Governments should impose a comprehensive arms embargo against Burma (Myanmar), including prohibiting military cooperation and financial transactions with military-owned enterprises.”“The shocking images of destruction in Burma (Myanmar) and burgeoning refugee camps in Bangladesh are two sides of the same coin of human misery being inflicted on the Rohingya,” Robertson said. “Concerned governments need to urgently press for an end to abuses against the Rohingya and ensure that humanitarian aid reaches everyone in need.”last_img read more

Just a week of painkiller use may up heart attack risk

first_imgUsing commonly prescribed painkillers such as ibuprofen and diclofenac for just a week can increase the risk of a heart attack by up to 50 per cent, a new study warns.According to the study published in the BMJ journal, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to treat pain and inflammation could be raising risk of having a heart attack as early as in the first week of use and especially within the first month of taking high doses of such medication. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfPrevious studies suggested that NSAIDs could increase the risk of heart attack, but the timing of the risk, the effect of dose, treatment duration, and the comparative risks between NSAIDs were poorly understood.Researchers, led by Michele Bally of the University of Montreal Hospital Research Centre (CRCHUM) in Canada, set out to characterise the risks of heart attack associated with use of oral NSAIDs under real life practice circumstances.They carried out a review of relevant studies from various healthcare databases including those from Canada, Finland and the UK. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveThey analysed results on 446,763 people of whom 61,460 had a heart attack. The NSAIDs of interest to the researchers were celecoxib, the three main traditional NSAIDs (diclofenac, ibuprofen, and naproxen), and rofecoxib.Researchers presented their results as probabilities of having a heart attack. They looked at various scenarios corresponding to how people might routinely use these drugs.The study found that taking any dose of NSAIDs for one week, one month, or more than a month was associated with an increased risk of heart attack. Naproxen was associated with the same risk of heart attack as that documented for other NSAIDs. With celecoxib, the risk was lower than for rofecoxib and was comparable to that of traditional NSAIDs.Overall the increase in risk of a heart attack is about 20 to 50 per cent if using NSAIDs compared with not using these medications. To put this in perspective, as a result of this increase, the risk of heart attack due to NSAIDs is on average about one per cent annually.The type of analysis the researchers used allowed them to conclude with greater than 90 per cent probability that all NSAIDs studied are associated with a heightened risk of heart attack.Further analysis suggested that the risk of heart attack associated with NSAID use was greatest with higher doses and during the first month of use.With longer treatment duration, risk did not seem to continue to increase but the researchers caution that they did not study repeat heart attacks such that it remains prudent to use NSAIDs for as short time as possible.last_img read more