Pulwama attack: Tamil Nadu grieves its bravehearts

first_imgPulwama attack: Tamil Nadu grieves its braveheartsThe martyred soldiers were the sole breadwinners of their familiesadvertisement Lokpria Vasudevan ChennaiFebruary 16, 2019UPDATED: February 16, 2019 15:57 IST Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami on Friday condoled the deaths of the jawans and announced a compensation of Rs 20 lakh and a government job to the kin of the martyrs.Two of the 40 Central Police Reserve Force (CRPF) personnel who were martyred in the terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama district on February 14 came from Tamil Nadu.Just an hour before the dastardly attack, Constable G Subramanium had spoken to his wife Krishnaveni to ask about his father who underwent a cataract operation in January.Hailing from the nondescript village of Seevalaperi in Tuticorin district, 28-year-old Subramaniam had joined the forces in 2014 after completing ITI. Part of the 82 battalion, Subramanium had been posted in Srinagar a year ago.It was only on February 10 that he had returned to duty after spending a month-long vacation with his family. During his stay at home, he had celebrated the festival of Thalai Pongal with his wife Krishnaveni. The couple had marriedonly in 2018.”He used to proudly say that he would be happy to die for the nation. That has come true. He died very young. We did not even live our life together,” a sobbing Krishnaveni said.Ganapathy, Subramanium’s father, could not hold back his tears as he remembered his doting son. “My son was the breadwinner of our family. His loss is irreplaceable. Even during his holidays, he worked on the farm to support us. He took me to the hospital for my cataract surgery. He used to call from Jammu and ask if I had taken my medicines. What will we do without him,” he said.As a soft-spoken youngster, Subramanium aspired to join the uniformed services from his childhood. A sports enthusiast, he would encourage the youngsters to be physically fit and had been instrumental in forming the Kabbadi club in the village. He actively took part in the sports events organised as part of the Pongal celebrations at his village.advertisementA pall of gloom descended in Karkudi village in Ariyalur from where CRPF jawan C Sivachandran hailed. 32-year-old Sivachandran worked as a teacher before joining the forces in 2010. He had returned to Jammu on February 9 after spending holidays with his family. Survived by his wife Gandhimathi and 2-year-old son, Sivachandran dreamt of raising his son to become an IPS officer.”I spoke to my husband three days back when he reached Delhi. I had asked him to be safe and he had asked me to not worry and take care of our son. He was very proud of serving the nation,” she said.Hailing from a family of farm laborers, Sivachandran too was the sole breadwinner. His demise came as a rude shock to the family who just the last year had lost their younger son.”My younger son died of electrocution last year and now my elder son is also dead. What are we going to do?” Chinnayan, father of the martyred jawan, said.Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palanisami on Friday condoled the deaths of the jawans and announced a compensation of Rs 20 lakh and a government job to the kin of the martyrs.Follow | Pulwama terror attack Live updates: Rajnath Singh calls all party meeting to discuss India’s moveAlso read | Pulwama terror attack: India salutes its bravehearts, proud families bid teary goodbyes Also read | Don’t know if I’ll return, take care of the kids: Slain CRPF jawan told wife before Pulwama attackAlso watch | PM Modi pays his final respects to slain CRPF jawansFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Tags :Follow Pulwama attacklast_img read more

Talisman withdrawing from Peru says unable to build material resource

AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email CALGARY – Talisman Energy Inc., which switched CEOs earlier this week, says it plans to wind down its operations in Peru as it was unable to big enough resource position there.The company’s Peruvian subsidiary will stop exploration in the Maranon Basin and plans to exit the country once it completes ongoing commercial transactions.Despite the company’s success in finding light oil in a property called “Situche Central,” or Block 64, it was “unable to build a material resource position in Peru,” Richard Herbert, Talisman’s executive vice-president of international exploration, said in a statement.“After careful consideration, a decision has been made to exit Peru and focus on near-term liquids and oil-linked gas opportunities in our global portfolio,” he said.The company will withdraw from licence contracts and work with local authorities to transition them to a new opearator.“While we are disappointed this play has not come to fruition for Talisman, we are hopeful another operator will continue our good work in the area and develop the Situche discovery in the future,” said Herbert.Talisman drilled a successful well in the area in 2009, but a second one drilled this spring came up dry. A process to sell the Peruvian assets began shortly after that.“We didn’t receive any competitive bids for the business as a whole, but we are now in discussions to sell our stake in individual blocks,” said company spokeswoman Phoebe Buckland.Talisman (TSX:TLM) says it enjoyed strong support from the Peruvian government and local authorities.“The company has worked extremely hard to build relationships with local communities on the ground and local authorities and we wouldn’t have been able to do the work we did without their support,” said Buckland.But the support for Talisman’s operations in Peru was not unanimous. Members of Peruvian indigenous groups regularly travelled to Calgary for Talisman’s annual shareholder meetings to tell then-CEO John Manzoni directly they oppose any oil drilling in their territory.On Monday, Talisman announced Manzoni had “agreed to” step down and had been replaced by Talisman board member and former TransCanada Corp. (TSX:TRP) CEO Hal Kvisle.In a statement Thursday, opponents to the Amazon drilling declared victory.“We have fought long and hard against Talisman’s drilling in our territory because of the negative environmental and social impacts we have seen from oil drilling around the world,” said Peas Peas Ayui, president of the National Achuar Federation of Peru.“Now that Talisman is leaving we can focus on achieving our own vision for development and leave a healthy territory for future generations.”Gregor MacLennan, with the group Amazon Watch, said the company recognized it couldn’t drill without the consent of the Achuar people.“Talisman’s exit sends a clear message to the oil industry: Trampling indigenous rights in the rush to exploit marginal oil reserves in the Amazon rainforest is not an option.” by News Staff Posted Sep 13, 2012 7:18 pm MDT Talisman withdrawing from Peru, says unable to build ‘material resource’ read more