Honduran Congress Increases Penalties for the Crime of Extortion

first_imgBy Dialogo March 05, 2012 The Honduran Congress has increased the penalties for the crimes of extortion and blackmail, by way of a reform of the Criminal Code with which it aims to halt the so-called “war tax” collected by gangs, legislative sources announced on February 29. In a single debate the previous night, despite the fact that laws are normally passed in three debates, the 128 legislators from five parties established a penalty of 15 to 20 years in prison for the crime of extortion, previously punished by between six and nine years, following the reform of Article 222 of the Criminal Code. The members of Congress agreed to waive the two other debates required by law. For the crime of blackmail, the penalty will be between six and 12 years, instead of the three to nine years at which it was set until now. The Congress legislated that for both extortion and blackmail, in addition to a prison term, there will be fines of up to 50 minimum salaries, around 15,000 dollars. According to legislator Tony Zambrano, more than 6,000 businesses have gone bankrupt in Honduras in recent years because of collection of the “war tax,” and more than 200 people have been murdered for refusing to pay it. According to complaints publicized in the local press, the “war tax” is collected by gang members, including police officers, from small retailers and haulers, and since last week it has been reported that they are also collecting it in schools.last_img read more

A millisecond mistake that can pose a lifetime challenge

first_img continue reading » Snap judgements – also known as first impressions – often wrongly assume people’s intentions or trustworthiness. Even so, these judgements – formed in milliseconds – can pose a real challenge if not made in your favor.That being said, there are ways to sway people’s snap judgements – including controlling your visual cues. In a Wall Street Journal article, Sue Shellenbarger writes that a “happy expression, with the corners of the mouth turned upward and eyebrows relaxed, is likely to inspire trust.”She adds that facial expressions are even more important when you don’t think anyone is looking at you. She cites impression-management consultant Judson Vaughn who said that people tend to distrust others whose “dominant face,” is grumpy or disapproving. And even more so when that person flashes a smile just because someone is looking.Shellenbarger notes other tips to ward off a bad first impression, such as holding your shoulders erect, using breathing techniques to foster relaxation and confidence, and standing with your hands relaxed by your sides. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

PODCAST: Adapting to change

first_img ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr During his 10 years on the supervisory committee, Tim Goblirsch has seen the committee’s role change  from one that merely took in information to a group that is now focused on enterprise risk management and the issues a growing credit union faces.“If we’re going to serve members in every area of their financial lives—whether it’s auto, home, or business lending, or an improved digital platform—we have to be stronger and test ourselves in the areas where there are risks,” says Goblirsch, supervisory committee chair at $1.6 billion asset Fort Knox Federal Credit Union in Radcliff, Ky. “We’re growing as an institution, and the committee has had to grow as well. We need to adapt and be nimble to deal with those challenges.”Goblirsch received the CUNA Supervisory Committee Member of the Year award at the 2019 CUNA Supervisory Committee and Internal Audit Conference in December. continue reading »last_img read more

Rights activist urges Australia to raise Papua rights violations during Jokowi visit

first_imgAmnesty International Australia and Indonesian human rights lawyer Veronica Koman have urged the Australian government to bring up the human rights situation in Papua and West Papua during President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s ongoing visit to Canberra.Veronica highlighted the plight of 56 indigenous Papuans and Jakarta-based activist Surya Anta, who are currently facing trial for treason following widespread protests in favor of Papuan self-determination between August and September last year.Read also: After rallying to support Papua, protestors jailed, forced to listen to patriotic songs “These people were arrested when expressing their opinion during mass protests against racism and for an independence referendum in August and September 2019 and during a commemoration of West Papua’s national day on Dec. 1, 2019,” Veronica said in a statement on Sunday. “We demand their immediate and unconditional release.”She also mentioned the ongoing military operation against armed rebels in Nduga regency, which has displaced thousands of people in the region. According to Amnesty International Indonesia executive director Usman Hamid, 263 displaced Nduga residents had died from hunger and illnesses as of the end of last month.Read also: Jokowi urged to withdraw troops from Papua’s Nduga“We are also concerned about the increased troop deployments and activities in Intan Jaya regency since December last year,” Veronica said. “Indonesia must end these operations and immediately withdraw troops from Nduga and Intan Jaya regencies, so the indigenous West Papuans can return to their homes and be free from living in constant fear.”Jokowi arrived in Canberra on Saturday and is set to address the Australian Parliament on Monday.Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi said the President would discuss the planned capital relocation, the newly ratified Indonesia-Australia Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (IA-CEPA) and future Indonesia-Australia cooperation. (kmt)Topics :last_img read more

Trump fires intelligence official who had key impeachment role

first_imgTopics : President Donald Trump announced Friday he was firing a senior intelligence official who had a central role in the complaint last August that sparked the impeachment trial of the US leader.In a letter to the Senate Intelligence Committee, Trump said he had lost confidence in Michael Atkinson, the independent inspector general of the broad US intelligence community.Atkinson reviewed and transmitted an anonymous whistle-blower’s complaint in August that alleged that Trump had sought personal political favours from Ukraine in violation of US law.The complaint became the basis for Trump’s impeachment, which saw him put through a historic trial for removal in the Senate in January. The president was charged with holding up official military aid to Ukraine in exchange for Kiev helping to smear his expected 2020 election foe, Democrat Joe Biden.After deciding the complaint had merit, Atkinson, a 55-year-old veteran government attorney, forwarded it to the Justice Department and to Congress, setting off the impeachment investigation.Atkinson then testified in a closed hearing of the House Intelligence Committee investigating the allegations, at a time when the White House sought to prevent other administration officials from giving evidence.Ultimately Trump was voted not guilty by the Republican-controlled Senate in early February.He then embarked on a campaign to force from office a number of officials in the White House, State Department and Pentagon who cooperated with the probe. Atkinson, who Trump appointed to his post in 2018, was long understood to be in the president’s sights.”It is vital that I have the fullest confidence in the appointees serving as inspectors general,” Trump wrote in the letter to the two top senators on the Intelligence Committee, Richard Burr and Mark Warner.”This is no longer the case with regard to this inspector general,” he said, without explaining why.Warner, a Democrat, blasted Trump for what he called “ongoing attempts to politicize the nation’s intelligence agencies.””In the midst of a national emergency, it is unconscionable that the president is once again attempting to undermine the integrity of the intelligence community by firing yet another an intelligence official simply for doing his job,” he wrote.”The work of the intelligence community has never been about loyalty to a single individual; it’s about keeping us all safe from those who wish to do our country harm.”last_img read more

Lyon respond to rumours Arsenal have agreed transfer deal with Houssem Aouar

first_imgArsenal are eyeing a move for Chelsea midfielder Jorginho (Picture: Getty)Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey remains firmly on Arsenal’s radar and Chelsea midfielder Jorginho emerged as a possible target this week. Asked about Jorginho’s links with Arsenal on Friday, Arteta responded: ‘We are still open to improve our team. ‘We are looking for different options depending on what happens with our players here.‘We are getting prepared just in case we need to do something.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalPressed further on Jorginho, Arteta added: ‘I cannot open up on players that play for a different team and their qualities. ‘It’s not appropriate.’Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page.MORE: Jurgen Klopp explains why Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal are so difficult to play againstMORE: Ray Parlour explains why Arsenal should attempt to sign Dele Alli over Jorginho Liverpool v Arsenal: Mikel Arteta press conferenceTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 13:41FullscreenLiverpool v Arsenal: Mikel Arteta press conferencehttps://metro.co.uk/video/liverpool-v-arsenal-mikel-arteta-press-conference-2257034/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.Arsenal have been unable to agree a fee with Lyon with the transfer deadline fast approaching – but reports on Friday suggested the north London giants were making significant progress in their pursuit of the Frenchman.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTAccording to French outlet L’Equipe, Aouar has agreed personal terms with the Gunners after European heavyweights Barcelona and Juventus dropped out of this summer’s race for his signature.However, Lyon president Aulas sent a clear message to Arsenal on Saturday morning as he directly responded to L’Equipe‘s story on Twitter. Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 26 Sep 2020 10:17 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.5kShares Houssem Aouar has been heavily linked with Arsenal in recent weeks (Picture: Getty)Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has played down rumours Houssem Aouar could be on his way to Arsenal and insists the club are still counting on the midfielder for the new campaign.Aouar, 22, is regarded as one of the top young midfielders in world football after starring on Lyon’s path to the Champions League semi-finals last season and his outstanding performances in the competition made Europe’s elite sit up and take notice.Mikel Arteta is keen to strengthen his options in the middle of the park and Lyon chief Juninho confirmed that Arsenal technical director Edu had made contact over a possible agreement for Aouar earlier this month. Advertisement Transferts : Houssem Aouar (OL) d’accord avec Arsenal – ⁦@OL⁩ ⁦:il y aura très peu de départs: pour Houssem Arsenal est bcp trop éloigné de sa valeur: on compte sur lui pour faire un grand match à Lorient et mener l’OL en CL l’année prochaine 👍 https://t.co/8SUKIHLcLJ— Jean-Michel AULAS (@JM_Aulas) September 26, 2020‘There will be very few departures,’ Aulas said. ‘For Houssem, Arsenal are too far from his value: we are counting on him playing a great match against Lorient (this weekend) before leading Lyon in the Champions League next year.’It’s understood Lyon have lowered their valuation of Aouar from £55m to between £36-41m but it appears Arsenal are still some way short of the Ligue 1 club’s new asking price. Comment Advertisement Lyon respond to rumours Arsenal have agreed transfer deal with Houssem Aouarlast_img read more

MHI Vestas to Open Lindø Factory Doors to Danish Delegation

first_imgMHI Vestas will host the Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen, Energy Minister Lars Christian Lilleholt and Mayor of Kerteminde Hans Luunbjerg at the company’s nacelle factory in Lindø today, 7 November, for a factory tour and discussion of the country’s offshore wind market.According to MHI Vestas, the visit comes after the company hired 284 new employees at industrial facilities across Denmark since March 2017, including Lindø, a blade manufacturing facility in Nakskov, and new power converter module assembly site in Esbjerg.Jens Tommerup, the company’s CEO, said: “We are very proud to host the Danish Prime Minister and other distinguished guests today at our factory. The highly skilled men and women who are employed at our production facilities throughout regional Denmark are a big part of Denmark’s success in offshore wind – an industry that is becoming increasingly global.”MHI Vestas’ job growth in Denmark this year came as a result of a high demand for its 9.5MW V164 platform, the company said.The V164 wind turbine was launched in June 2017, and is the most powerful serially-produced wind turbine in the world.MHI Vestas and Clemson University in South Carolina recently announced that the turbine will have all testing and verification of its gearbox and main bearings carried out at the university’s 15MW test bench. This deal marks the company’s first major investment in the United States.The V164-9.5 MW wind turbine is the turbine most likely to be used for the first round of major offshore wind projects in the United States, MHI Vestas said.last_img read more

Noah Issac Bischoff

first_imgNoah Issac Bischoff of Batesville, Indiana passed away on Monday, August 21, 2017.  The 19 year old was born on October 1, 1997 in Batesville.Noah was a 2016 graduate of Batesville High School and worked for Ricca Chemical as a shipper.He will be dearly missed by his mother and step-father, Christina & Steven Odell, father and step-mother, Scott & Debbie Bischoff; daughter Kora Mae Bischoff and her mother, Amber Fetters; maternal grandparents, Susie & Kendall McMillan and Anthony & Teresa Heppner; paternal grandparents, Thomas & Patricia Bischoff; Great Grandparents, Sally & Roy Wilhelm and Phyllis Bischoff; two brothers Jacob Cruse & Hunter Bischoff and 2 step-brothers, Gary Barnett II & Kyle Barnett.Visitation will be Sunday, August 27, 2017 from 11:00am – 3:00pm immediately followed by 3:00pm funeral service all at Meyers Funeral Home, Batesville.Memorials may be given to the Infamous Few Charity Riders c/o Meyers Funeral Home.  Online condolences www.meyersfuneralhomes.comlast_img read more

Man City agree personal terms to sign Messi on three-year deal

first_imgManchester City have agreed personal terms to sign Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi on a three-year deal according to Duncan Castles on The Transfer Window Podcast. The report claims Messi has agreed to spend three seasons with Man City in the Premier League before moving to Major League Soccer for the final two years of his deal to play for New York City FC. Loading… Promoted ContentEverything You Need To Know About Asteroid Armageddon10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do6 Secret Origin Stories Of Modern Mouth-Watering Meal12 Marvel Superheroes When They Were KidsFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtThe Most Clever Uses Of CGI In CinemaBelieve It Or Not, Paul Rudd Is Turning 50 This YearWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?A Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of Art7 Mesmerizing Facts About Hypnosis9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now Read Also: Barcelona table strange condition to let Messi leave for free Whilst Messi is intent on leaving as a free agent, the Blaugrana refute the legality of this claim and are referring to his €700m release clause. It is claimed that City are the club best placed to land the Argentine due to his personal relationship with boss Pep Guardiola, while he also shares a close bond with Argentina international teammate Sergio Aguero. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img It follows directly from a report in Marca that Man City’s offer to Messi was a three-year contract with informal negotiations already opened between the parties. Both teams are part of the City Football Group, with the suggestion that the player could also be offered an equity stake in the company. The terms of the deal are said to earn the Argentine – who is the world’s highest paid player – a whopping €700m over the course of the five-year deal across the two clubs.last_img read more

No I in ‘team’ – Sessegnon

first_imgStephane Sessegnon has attributed Sunderland’s timely improvement to team-work rather than his own efforts. The 28-year-old Benin international has returned to something like his best form since the arrival of new manager Paolo Di Canio, and reaped the rewards once again on Saturday, when six days after setting the Black Cats on the way to derby victory at Newcastle, he put high-flying Everton to the sword with the only goal of the game. Sessegnon’s overall contribution in the last few weeks has earned him rave reviews from the Italian, but he insists the credit must be shared, and he told the Sunderland Echo: “He (Di Canio) hasn’t said anything particularly special to me. Above all, his message has been about working as a team.” He added: “That’s what we have done in training and tried to do in the games, and you can see the results. “The defence was very solid against Everton and that has been the main thing the new manager has done differently. It’s all about working together and functioning together.” Sunderland’s transformation has been remarkable and a club which was deep in relegation trouble has now established a very different momentum heading into what could prove a crucial trip to Aston Villa next Monday evening. However, with confidence high at the Stadium of Light, Sessegnon and his team-mates are looking upwards rather than over their shoulders. The former Paris St Germain player said: “We have managed to get three points for two weeks in a row, so we are all very satisfied. “It was important to keep it going because our place in the table was still not the healthiest. We are in a position where every point we can take is good. “The win at Newcastle was important both for the three points and the confidence it gave us. If we keep playing this way in the final matches of the season, then we will finish the season well.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more