Man Utd and Leeds to face off in Australia

first_imgManchester United will take on Leeds United in Perth next July during a pre-season tour of Australia that will also see them take on A-League side Perth Glory.The Red Devils have confirmed their entire first-team are set to make the trip Down Under to kick off their preparations for the 2019-20 season with a match against Perth Glory on July 13 before meeting with Leeds on July 17.Perth’s Optus Stadium – which recently won Project of the Year at The Stadium Business Awards in London – will host both games. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! Sydney fans will could also get a taste of the action with unconfirmed reports Leeds will take on the Western Sydney Wanderers at the brand new Western Sydney Stadium in Parramatta on July 21.Manchester United last travelled to Australia to play the A-League All Stars at ANZ Stadium, Sydney in 2013 and have toured Down Under four times previously – including a trip to Perth in 1975. It will be the first time the Red Devils have played against Leeds since a 3-0 win in a 2011 League Cup match.Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, is excited to bringing his side back to Australia after nearly six years away.“Our pre-season tour is an integral part of the squad’s preparation for the forthcoming season and after what will be a forty-four year absence since we last played in Perth, we are delighted to be returning to Western Australia to play not just one, but two games against Perth Glory and Leeds United,” Woodward said.“As well as preparing for the season ahead, the club will also have the opportunity to engage with our loyal fans in Australia, who last got the chance to see us play in Sydney in 2013.”Tickets for the games are set to go on sale November 29.last_img read more

Kim Boutin threatened on social media after bronzemedal win

first_imgShort-track speedskater Kim Boutin shut down all her social media accounts Wednesday after hundreds of angry tweets were directed at her by irate South Koreans in the wake of her controversial bronze-medal win in the 500-metre race at the Pyeongchang Olympics.Boutin finished fourth, but was promoted to third when South Korea’s Minjeong Choi was disqualified for interfering with the Canadian. Angry fans, mainly from South Korea, tweeted animated gifs or still images from the race, claiming that Boutin had pushed Choi.“Congratulations on a dirty medal,” one message said.“You had been teaching Kim Boutin how to cheat, Canada!!” said another on Twitter.Boutin, from Sherbrooke, Que., closed her social media accounts and the RCMP, the IOC and Speed Skating Canada began investigations.“The health, safety and security of all our team members is our top priority and as such we are working closely with Speed Skating Canada, our security personnel and the RCMP,” said a statement from the Canadian Olympic Committee. “We will not make further comment on this issue, so that Kim can focus on her upcoming events.”The subject was also raised later in the day at the International Olympic Committee’s media briefing.“Clearly what we want is for great performances to be applauded and that’s what the Olympic Games is about,” said IOC spokesperson Mark Adams. “We’re not in control, nor should we be, of social media and unfortunately these incidents do come up from time to time. It’s regrettable.“I haven’t seen the comments but I can imagine. We’ve had it, as I say, in previous Games. All we can do is say let’s concentrate on what was a great performance and congratulations by the way to Canada for the bronze medal. I was there last night and it was pretty amazing.”Related contentOlympic medal count for Pyeongchang Winter Games In figure skating, Canada’s Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford were third in the pairs event after the short program.The two-time world champions, who will retire after the Olympics, scored 76.82 points for their skate to April Meservy’s cover of U2’s hit song “With or Without You.”China’s reigning world champions Sui Wenjing and Han Cong scored 82.39 points for the flawless skate to Canadian k.d. lang’s version of “Hallelujah.”Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov, representing Olympic Athletes from Russia, were the last team to go, bumping Duhamel and Radford down to third with an 81.68-point performance.Germany’s Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massot were fourth with 76.59 points.Canada’s other pairs duos also qualified for the free skate. Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau were 12th with 67.52 points. Kirsten Moore-Towers and Michael Marinaro were 13th with 65.68.The men’s curling tournament began on Wednesday with Calgary’s Kevin Koe leading Canada to a 5-3 win over Italy in the first draw.Canada scored a deuce in the eighth end to break a 2-2 tie but the Italians came right back with a double takeout to earn a single in the ninth. Holding hammer in the 10th, Koe earned an easy point with his final stone for the game’s decisive score.The Canadians will play Britain in the day’s second draw.The top four teams in the 10-nation round robin advance to the semifinals.last_img read more

Event World Bank Group Youth Summit 2016 – Rethinking Education for the

first_imgImage Credit: World Bank Advertisement The World Bank Group (WBG) is seeking applicants for its Youth Summit 2016 Competition with an aim to inspire, create a dialogue on innovative ways to address education problems, and encourage entrepreneurship.The purpose of this competition is to challenge young people to solve the problems that matter to them most by crafting their own solutions, so that they can build the future they want.The two-day Summit will be held from 14th to 15th November 2016 in Washington DC and live streamed globally under the themes; Innovation and Technology in Education, Skills for the New Economy, Gender Equality in Education and Education in Crisis Zones – Advertisement – Eligibility Criteria The competition is open to individuals or teams of 2 – 4 people aged 18 to 35, from all over the world. Prior entrepreneurial experience or business background is not required-all individuals with the drive to innovate are encouraged to participate, including professionals from business or policy, students and academics, NGO leaders, government officials and start-up founders.How to Apply: Attendance to the event is free of charge. Interested youth are encouraged to find sponsors to pay for their transportation tickets and accommodation for the two days of the event. Apply online via the Youth Summit 2016 Competition website.Deadline to submit your application is 25th September, 2016last_img read more