By Dialogo May 29, 2009 An 11 year old boy in the early morning hours started out on a 100 km walk for his father, a soldier, who the boy doesn’t know because he had been kidnapped by the FARC guerrilla forces just a little before the boy had been born, the boy had stated on Thursday. This march “is for my father’s freedom and the freedom of all who have been kidnapped”, the young Johan Steven Martínez stated, as he began his walk that would take him from the town of Ospina to the city of Pasto, the capital of the department of Nariño (on the border with Ecuador). Johan’s father, Army sergeant Libio José Martínez, was kidnapped on 21 December 1997 in a bloody attack by the Colombian Revolutionary Armed Forces (FARC) on soldiers who were guarding a communications station on a hill in the southern part of the country. 11 soldiers were killed and 18 more were kidnapped during the attack. Of these kidnapped soldiers, only Martínez and Sergeant Pablo Emilio Moncayo still are being held by the FARC forces. Johan started his march on Wednesday accompanied by hundreds of the inhabitants of the town of Ospina and 30km later they spent the night at a site located near the town of Túquerres, from where he resumed his journey this Thursday, which he hopes he will finish on Friday in Pasto. Last April 16th the rebel group announced that they would turn over Moncayo to a commission headed by the opponent Senator Piedad Córdoba and the soldier’s father. Professor Gustavo Moncayo, who is known throughout the country and abroad for his extensive marches that he has taken to try to insure the release of his son. Nevertheless, President Alvaro Uribe rejected the conditions and stated that he would only allow a delegation of representatives from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and from the Catholic Church to participate in procuring his freedom. Martínez and Moncayo are part of a group of 22 soldiers, which also includes a general from the Police Force (who was promoted to this rank while being held captive) by the FARC forces several years ago, and who the rebel forces are trying to exchange for some 500 of their soldiers who are incarcerated, including three of their soldiers who are being held in the United States.
FLORIDA KEYS — An adult loggerhead sea turtle, released off the Florida Keys a year ago after it was treated at the Keys’ Turtle Hospital, continues to be tracked via satellite. “Mr. T” was named by staff at the Turtle Hospital in February 2019 after several surgeries to remove a fishhook. The marine reptile was returned to the ocean May 7, 2019, with a small satellite transmitter epoxied to its shell by Mote Marine Laboratory staff to track migratory patterns of male loggerheads. Since the release, the turtle has traveled more than 1,600 miles. It spent time in the Atlantic Ocean off the Keys, but also swam in Gulf of Mexico waters off southwest Florida. Currently Mr. T is near Key Largo.“We do not know much about the adult males,” said Turtle Hospital Manager Bette Zirkelbach. “The females come back to shore to nest.“The males never come back to shore, so we don’t have an opportunity to put satellite tags on them,” she added. “With this study, we are able to track the males and see where the boys go.” Zirkelbach said it’s unusual for a small transmitter to remain on a sea turtle for so long and to keep working. Typically, transmitters fall off in about four to six months, but because Mr. T is an adult his continued growth is very slow, she said. Younger turtles grow more rapidly and top layers of their shells shed more.“It’s unusual, but that satellite tag is still on Mr. T and it’s still transmitting good information,” she said.Eventually, the transmitter will fall off the turtle, Zirkelbach said.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Mr-T-tag.mp3Follow Mr. T’s progress here.
Can’t view the update feed below? Click here.[scribble src=”/event/2920012″ /] We are providing free access to this article. Please consider supporting local journalism like this by purchasing a subscription. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers Kobe Bryant and 13-year-old daughter Gianna among 9 killed in helicopter crash in CalabasasPHOTO GALLERY: A look back at Kobe’s careerOBITUARY: Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest Lakers ever, dies at 41.Athletes react to death of Lakers legend.Orange Coast College coach John Altobelli, wife and daughter killed in crash.Map: Kobe Bryant helicopter route from takeoff to deadly crash.Grammy Awards, stars, honor late Lakers legend Kobe Bryant.For LA’s leaders, Kobe Bryant’s death is ‘a dark and sad day for Los Angeles.’Staples Center, Kobe Bryant’s ‘house,’ becomes a place of mourning.ALEXANDER: Kobe’s death a gut punch to L.A. fans.WHICKER: Tiger mourns the loss of Bryant, his partner in sports dominance.Monday: 3 bodies removed from site of crash.Tuesday’s game between Lakers and Clippers is postponed.WHICKER: Kobe grew up before our eyes and kept us on our toes.Bryant leaves lasting impact with Orange County girls basketball community.How this Mid City mural of Kobe and Gigi appeared in just 6 hours Follow along for live updates on the helicopter crash that killed nine people, including Kobe Bryant and his 13-year old daughter Gianna. Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli was also killed in the accident.Here is what we know:Sunday: Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
“We didn’t play as well as we could have played,” said the German, whose side host West Bromwich Albion on Saturday in their next league game.“We started OK and immediately with their defending we weren’t brave anymore. We didn’t wait for the right pass.“They didn’t create chances, maybe two in the second half, and De Gea made two or three great saves, but in the end our performance was not what it should be. It is a first clean sheet, so yippee.“We weren’t calm enough. That is not the way we want to play, but I accept it. We got a point. There are worse things in the world.” “This is a point that stopped them winning three. Other candidates for the title have easier fixtures at the moment and it is important to keep close to them.“Our opportunity to get five wins in a row will come.”Despite seeing 65 percent of possession, Liverpool mustered only three attempts on target that saw Roberto Firmino, Emre Can and Philippe Coutinho denied by United goalkeeper David de Gea.But with his side just two points behind Manchester City and second-place Arsenal in the table, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp tried to put things in perspective. “The reaction from their crowd was permanent disappointment. People expected us to come here and be really in trouble, which we were not.”He added: “If you analyse the game, you see the reason why we did it, playing (Ashley) Young and (Marouane) Fellaini.“We had control of the game. There were two amazing saves by David de Gea, it’s true, but they were out of context. Share on: WhatsApp Goalkeeper David de GeaLiverpool, United Kingdom | AFP | Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho praised his team for subduing Anfield after they held in-form Liverpool to a dour 0-0 draw in the Premier League on Monday.United have won only one of their last five league games and remain seventh in the league, three points below fourth-place Liverpool and five points off leaders Manchester City.But having thwarted Liverpool’s ambitions of registering a sixth successive win, Mourinho hailed his side’s performance.“We controlled the game, not just tactically, but the emotion of the game,” Mourinho told Sky Sports.“That was probably the quietest Anfield I had and I was expecting it to be the other way. I think was a positive performance.