NPA Comptroller General Sacked

first_imgDismissed NPA Comptroller Franklin Sackor-For ‘gross incompetence’The management of the National Port Authority (NPA) has with immediate effect sacked its Comptroller General Franklin Sackor, because of what it described “as gross incompetence and ineptitude on the job.”A press statement in the possession of the Daily Observer said the dismissal of Mr. Sackor from his position by the NPA management was as a result of his failure to provide bank statements from the months of February to May 2018 as well as his failure to justify the reason a private entity was placed on the payroll of the NPA.The NPA clarified as untrue reports that the office of the Finance Department had been closed and barricaded.An NPA statement said the Department of Finance remains functional to the business community and the shipping world; and at no time was it shut down and barricaded as it is being reported by some media outlets.While further details pertaining to the dismissal of Sarkoh were not disclosed in the press statement, it said Sarkoh is entitled to his salary and benefits that the NPA management owes him.“Mr. Sackor has been asked to contact the Human Resource Department to collect his salary and benefits including – gasoline and scratch cards for the last month he served in the post,” the press release confirmed.The statement, signed by NPA’s director of public relations, Malcolm Scott, said Mr. Sackor will also be paid his one month salary in lieu of notice in keeping with the labor laws of Liberia and, therefore, he is expected to turn over the keys of the office of the comptroller, his assigned vehicle and all other properties belonging to the entity.Sackor is probably the first person in Weah’s government to be hit by outright dismissal, particularly on grounds of incompetence.It can be recalled that deputy Commerce Minister Jamesetta Wolokolie was suspended for time indefinite on the orders of President George Weah for gross insubordination allegedly to Commerce Minister Wilson Tarpeh; but she was, however, recalled a little over one week ago.Prior to his dismissal, it was recently reported that Bill Twehway, the newly appointed NPA managing director, was ready to dismiss Sarkor for what authorities said is the lack of compliance and disregard for orders from the new port MD.Until yesterday, October 15, when this newspaper gathered that Sackor had been dismissed, sources had earlier confirmed his dismissal but said he was still taking orders from former NPA Acting Managing Director Cecilia Cuffy-Brown and disregarding instructions from Mr. Twehway.Mr. Sarkoh, it can be recalled, was brought on board by Madam Brown when she took over the entity in March amid a series of public criticisms.Madam Cuffy came under fire for hiring four brothers of President George Weah, a decision she has repeatedly defended, insisting that she had the backing of the President to hire and fire.Shortly after taking over in March, Madam Brown immediately brought on board Mr. Sarkor as the new comptroller, along with an Internal Audit Department manager, although the department had a manager and other qualified auditors.Sarkor had previously worked at the Liberia Petroleum Refinery Company in the Human Resources Department and, before that, he served at the St. Matthews School in Logan Town as business manager.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

FKF await CAS on Equatorial Guinea appeal

first_img0Shares0000Harambee Starlets striker Teresia Engesha tries to control the ball under pressure from Equatorial Guinea’s Esperanza Mbang Mba during their African Women’s Cup of Nation at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on June 6, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 15 – The Football Kenya Federation is waiting on word from the Court of Arbitration on Sports (CAS) by end of Thursday on their appeal over CAF’s decision to reinstate Equatorial Guinea into the African Women’s Cup of Nations, barely 10 days to the tournament.CAF’s disciplinary board had earlier on suspended the West Africans from the competition for fielding an ineligible player in their qualification match against Kenya’s Harambee Starlets, but the appeals committee rescinded the decision, reinstating them with barely 10 days left. Kenya’s Starlets had already kicked off residential training and even played a friendly match against Ghana’s Black Queens before the appeals board made their decision.“We wrote to CAF telling them of our intention to CAS and after the mandatory seven days period in which they are supposed to give a response. When they failed to do so, we moved to file our appeal with CAS after paying the 1,000 Swiss Francs fee (Sh102,603),” FKF Secretary General Robert Muthomi told Capital Sport.Harambee Starlets striker Mwanahalima Adam goes up against teammate Jentrix Shikangwa during a training session at teh Utalii Grounds on October 29, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaHe added that the Switzerland-based court also wrote to CAF Seeking a response from them and the deadline is expected to lapse today (Thursday).“We have all the documents and everything is ready for us. We just wait to hear if CAF has responded and if they won’t then we will wait for CAS to make its ruling by probably latest Friday. We know we have a watertight case and all we want is justice to prevail,” Muthomi further stated.The Women’s Cup of Nations is expected to start on Sunday with Kenya having been scheduled to play on Sunday but with CAS yet to say any word on the appeal, there still lingers uncertainty.According to a highly placed source, FKF might seek damages, if CAS does not reinstate them into the Cup of Nations.Interestingly, Equatorial Guinea are under FIFA suspension from the Women’s World Cup over the same offense, using ineligible players. This year’s AWCON is also being used as a qualification tournament to next year’s World Cup in France.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more