Liverpool owner survives plane crash

first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Chelsea, Liverpool in cagey duel Liverpool FC’s billionaire owner Mike Gordon was aboard the private jet that closed John Lennon Airport on Wednesday after skidding off the runway.Gordon was heading into Merseyside from Massachusetts for a series of meetings at the club.His Bombardier BD-700-1A11 Global 6000 jet landed at 6am but overshot the runway, Mirror Online reports.A club source said: “Mike is absolutely fine. There were no injuries and he wants to pass on his appreciation to the unbelievable staff at John Lennon Airport and the emergency services for the way they dealt with the incident which made it a non-traumatic experience.”Gordon was said to be “very appreciative” of the care of airport staff and emergency services.Flights arriving from Salzburg, where Liverpool FC played on Tuesday night, the Isle of Man and Dublin were diverted to Manchester on Wednesday morning, while planes from Belfast and Amsterdam were cancelled.Gordon is Fenway Sports Group’s second largest shareholder and the organisation’s business interests also include the Boston Red Sox.He is known for avoiding the limelight but oversees the day-to-day running of Anfield.Liverpool John Lennon Airport cancelled all flights after the private jet veered onto the grass.Delays are reaching up to four hours at the airport, which warned this morning that disruption would continue into the afternoon.A spokesman said: “I can confirm that around 6am a private business jet with four people on board – three crew and a passenger landed OK but then came off onto the grass. For whatever reason it has skidded off the runway.”Tags: Liverpoollast_img read more

One Year After Turtle’s Release, Satellite Tracker Continues to Operate

first_imgFLORIDA KEYS — An adult loggerhead sea turtle, released off the Florida Keys a year ago after it was treated at the Keys’ Turtle Hospital, continues to be tracked via satellite. “Mr. T” was named by staff at the Turtle Hospital in February 2019 after several surgeries to remove a fishhook. The marine reptile was returned to the ocean May 7, 2019, with a small satellite transmitter epoxied to its shell by Mote Marine Laboratory staff to track migratory patterns of male loggerheads. Since the release, the turtle has traveled more than 1,600 miles. It spent time in the Atlantic Ocean off the Keys, but also swam in Gulf of Mexico waters off southwest Florida. Currently Mr. T is near Key Largo.“We do not know much about the adult males,” said Turtle Hospital Manager Bette Zirkelbach. “The females come back to shore to nest.“The males never come back to shore, so we don’t have an opportunity to put satellite tags on them,” she added. “With this study, we are able to track the males and see where the boys go.” Zirkelbach said it’s unusual for a small transmitter to remain on a sea turtle for so long and to keep working. Typically, transmitters fall off in about four to six months, but because Mr. T is an adult his continued growth is very slow, she said. Younger turtles grow more rapidly and top layers of their shells shed more.“It’s unusual, but that satellite tag is still on Mr. T and it’s still transmitting good information,” she said.Eventually, the transmitter will fall off the turtle, Zirkelbach said. Mr. T’s progress here.last_img read more