Union blames mining company, GGMC for death of geologist

first_img– demands full investigationThe People’s United and General Workers Union has said it was holding Troy Resources responsible for the death of one of its workers, who died during a collapse at the Karouni Mine, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) one week ago.Ryan Taylor, 33, of Lot 85 Lamaha Street, Alberttown, Georgetown, and three other persons were working on the construction of a “bench” in a mining pit when there was a slippage, which led to him falling and being covered by debris.Dead: Ryan TaylorOn Monday, administrator of the union, Lincoln Lewis, during a press conference, said that the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission and the Social Protection Ministry were also responsible owing to the lack of inspection and safety standards.“The sad and gruesome passing of this young man is a grim reminder of the potential danger in mining and the need for strict compliance with safety rules by the employer and even more strict inspection and enforcement of safety standards by the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC),” he said.After the incident, Guyana Times understands, it took some time to get Taylor from under the rubble and by the time he was pulled out, it was too late.Troy Resources later confirmed that the industrial accident occurred about 02:25h on October 8 when the geologist was standing above an excavated working face. The embankment he was standing on collapsed and he suffered fatal injuries as a consequence.Lewis on Monday argued that the workers at Troy Resources are subjected to work under unsafe conditions, and pointed out that there have been similar incidents at the same site, much to the company’s knowledge.“We hold those at the GGMC and the Ministry of Social Protection equally accountable along with the employer for the conditions of work which Ryan Taylor and his colleagues are subjected to working under. It was not unknown to them. In 2016, there was a severe wall failure in Smarts Stage Three pit at the Karouni Mine. The Union reached out to GGMC and the Ministry time and time again, all to no avail,” Lewis said.As a result, the Union has called for a complete investigation into the death of Taylor and the implementation of safety guidelines at the location.“There appears to be no respect for laws of our land, governing industrial practices, protecting workers and dictating how foreign investors are expected to function … The Union demands a full and complete investigation into the death and reiterates that we will not rest until justice is done and standard safety practices are implemented at the mine site,” Lewis reiterated.Managing Director Ken Nilsson had informed that mining operations at Karouni, have been temporarily suspended. However, in light of the incident, Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman has since instructed the GGMC to begin making the necessary preparations for a thorough investigation of the matter.A report is expected to be compiled and submitted upon completion. In the interim, all work in the area of construction has been ordered ceased pending the investigation.last_img read more

Wajir’s Al-Hayat crowned N. Eastern Chapa Dimba Na Safaricom champ

first_img0Shares0000Sensational attacker, Ahmed Sabri once again proved why he is the best in the team when he notched a brace for Al-Hayat to inspire the Wajir side make a dramatic comeback after trailing 3-0 in the first half.GARISSA, Kenya, Jan 7 – A spirited Al-Hayat FC from Wajir came three goals down to stun hosts Ifpro from Garissa 7-6 in post-match penalties in a breathtaking match hosted at a packed Garissa University on Sunday.This is after the match ended 3-3 in regular time to force the match to spot-kick that saw Al-Hayat goal keeper, Hassan Mahat make amends after squandering the opening kick when he saved one, while Ifpro player hit the bar in the sudden death penalty that determined the winner. Sensational attacker, Ahmed Sabri once again proved why he is the best in the team when he notched a brace for Al-Hayat to inspire the Wajir side make a dramatic comeback after trailing 3-0 in the first half.Despite dominating the first-half, Ifpro were reduced to 10 men after defender Derow Ahmed was sent-off for a bad tackle on an Al-Hiyat player.Ahmed Sabri produced the man of the match performance after notching a brace for a strong Al-Hayat side and ensure the Wajir based side qualify for the final that will be played on Sunday at the same venue.Issack Abdiwali who was the star player for Ifpro opened the scoring in the 28th minute before Musa Rashid doubled the lead.The red card did not discourage Ifro as the deadly striker set-up Feisal Yussuf to net the third goal on the stroke of half-time for a 3-0 lead.Ifpro went to sleep mode in the second half to see them lose their lead after Abdikhamad Khalid pulled one back immediately after half time before Sabri scored the second in the 52nd minute then completing a brace in the 76th minute.Sabri was named the Most Valuable Player and top scorer after netting four goals.Sabri was named the Most Valuable Player and top scorer after netting four goals.Bashir Abirahi from Ifpro was named the Best Goal Keeper of the tournament.Al-Hayat, who went home with Sh200, 000 from Safaricom, will now join teams from Rift Valley (Kapenguria Heroes), Eastern (Mwingi Boys) and Nyanza (Ombek Red Devils) who have already qualified for the National Finals to be hosted in Nairobi in March.The tournament now heads to Coast Region this weekend, then go to Western, Central and culminate with Nairobi before the grand finale.The overall winner will pocket Sh1mn and earn a fully paid trip to London where they will meet and train with the Chapa Dimba Na Safaricom ambassador, Victor Wanyama at his Tottenham Hotpur club.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Pipe bomb explodes in Long Beach

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By City News Service A pipe bomb exploded Saturday night in a parking structure next to a restaurant in Long Beach, police said. The explosion occurred in the 100 block of W. Ocean Boulevard, near the Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery on Pine Avenue, about 7:45 p.m., said spokesperson Nancy Pratt of the Long Beach Police Department. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage to any vehicles, Pratt said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The area around the explosion was evacuated and a bomb squad was called to search for other explosives, she said. Police also closed a Metro station about a half block away, she said. A witness told KTTV Channel 11 he initially thought the explosion was an earthquake.last_img read more